Situated in the centre of Blackrock
village, Jack O'Rourkes is easily recognised by its striking pub frontage
of black and gold. The pub dates from the early 1800's, and commenced
business as "a first class family grocery, with tea blending departments".
Jack O'Rourkes has always been a big part of the Blackrock scene,
and is very popular with both the local and business communities.
Myles Na gCopoleen referred to the
pub in his writings (see his amusing letter to Jack O'Rourke, on display
in the Snug), as has J.P. Dunleavy ('The Ginger Man'). The
pub was also frequented by James Joyce, when he lived in Blackrock,
and many other personalities of the past, some of whom are depicted
in the pub.
The O'Rourke family purchased the business
in 1921. It was run by Jack during his lifetime, and is now managed
by his daughter-in-law, Jane, and one of her four sons, Nigel.
During all these years, Jack O'Rourkes
has been upgraded, but not changed, on only two occasions. The old
atmosphere of the original pub is still there. A recent alteration
included the conversion of the original living quarters to a functions
room - "The Parlour" - which caters for groups, private parties etc.,
and the introduction of an all day food menu.
Old photos and memorabilia of Blackrock
are on display throughout, and are a source of much interest to customers
and local historians of the area. Jack O'Rourkes is by far the longest
established business in Blackrock, where local people and those returning
from abroad, are delighted to be able to enjoy a pint in the very
same pub that was frequented by their fathers and grandfathers.